The European Atari Jaguar Festival, “ejagfest” in short, will take place on November 4th and 5th of this year in Kleinenbroich (between Düsseldorf and Mönchengladbach), Germany. We celebrated the 40th anniversary of the Atari 2600 this year which has been released in 1977 in the USA.
The European Atari Jaguar Festival is a noncommercial annual festival for all Atari and retro gaming fans from all over Europe. It was established in year 2000 and the focus of attention is on Atari and all systems of the cult lable. But we don’t want to miss other retro-systems, as well. The more exotic, the better.
All of you who would like to play again on systems like the Jaguar, Lynx, VCS 2600, 5200, 7800 or on a trusty home-computer of the 70s, 80s or 90s, this is the right place.
Retro games, homebrew announcements / presentations, prototypes believed to be lost and demos of all kind can be experienced on the ejagfest. Developers from all over Europe regularly take the opportunity to present their new developments on the festival, and sometimes even have exclusive items for sale. Another highlight was the presentation of the only working “High-res Jaguar Virtual Reality Headset” in existence, which was shown for the first time in Europe on the ejagfest in the year 2007.
Competitions such as “Club Drive” or “Kasumi Ninja” make sure everyone has a fun time. Next to these fun competitions, the official European championship in “Checkered Flag” for the Lynx is taking place each year.
To make the event complete there are retro game retailers to offer Jaguar/Lynx titles and a variety of other retro games and systems.
Highlights this year:
- Shows a prototype of the Jaguar “Voice Modem”. The modem was meint for online matches in games like Ultra Vortek, but was never released by Atari.
- A Panther Dev-Kit. The Panther was a planned but never released 32-Bit Console from Atari. It was cancelled in favor of the Jaguar.
- Atari Transputer Workstation 800. Only 250 units of this powerful workstation was produced. A rare peace of Atari history.
- Shows his Jaguar Kiosk. Atari used them to show the Jaguar at trade fairs and in shopping malls in the USA. It is very rare to find in Europe.
- He is well known for his Jaguar custom box sets and manuals. This year he brings us new boxes for ST Ports for the Jaguar. For games like Bubble Bobble, R-Type Gauntlet 2 and more.
- In addition to that, he will sell the latest ST-Port games on cartridge, games like “Badlands, Commando, Bionic Commando and Dragon Breed” for the Jaguar.
- Further he offers the new print of the Orion releases on Cart and CD.
- He shows us an Atari Pong Maschine and the Co-Jag Arcade Board “Freeze”. Co-Jag is the Arcade hardware this is based on the Jaguar.
- And las but not least the latest version of the new home-brew game “Kaboom!” for the Jaguar.
- Nick Persijn:
- Many remember him from his visit in 2013 when he sold his very good self made rotary controllers. This year he will do this as well. On Sunday he will also build them on site.
- Further he sells the Duranik Native-Demo and the homebrew game Martian Attack from Tursi, AvP Alpha, Redline Racer Beta and all three known prototypes of “Thea Realm Fighters” for Jaguar on cartridge.
- In the name of Wave1 Games he will offer the game “Frogz64” including box, manual and overlay for the Jaguar on cartridge.
- Further he shows a Vectrex with the Madtronix 3D Imager.
- DerLuchs (neXGam):
- Shows and sells some of his homebrew games for Jaguar, Lynx and Vectrex. He got some new releases as well. In addition to that he also sells his audio CD’s.
- Marco Willig (McWill):
- Shows again his VGA-Screen hardware mod for the Atari Lynx and the Sega Game Gear. It improves the screen quality a lot. Further it provides an VGA-Out to play Lynx on external VGA displays and TVs.
- On Sunday he modified systems on side.
- Maybe we will also get an update on his FPGA based Handheld prototype he showed us last year.
- Silvio Laute:
- Shows some exhibits from his collection.
- An Atari 5200 to play for everyone. Quite rare in europe, it never saw an official release here.
- Further some Pong machines from his collection.
- DragonBox Shop:
- The Dragonbox shop presented the „MIST FPGA“ Computer. This device emulates the most known and unknown 8 and 16 BIT computer and consoles. Everyone was able to try this device out at the show.
- Further there will be some new products from the shop.
- Thomas Ilg:
- The programmer of Anarcho Ride for the ST shows some Box designs for his game
- Further he shows a raycasting experiment on GFA Basic.
- Michael Lünzer:
- Shows makes on Sunday a Mattel Electronics Exhibition. It contains some 1970’s handhelds like “Auto Racing” the first electric handheld at all.
- Further he shows us an Intellivision (version I & II) incl. the system changer (Add On to play Atari games on it).
- He also have a Multi Cart with an selection of current homebrew games and demos for the system.
- And an Aquarius Computer and the electric drum set “Synsonics Drums”.
- Atari Shop NL:
- Sells retro-games and goodies for different retro systems.
- Further Mr. Atari shows his new Atari 800 games like “Lost in Space”.
- Shows and sells new homebrew games for different retro-systems.
- The known retailer and hardware-mod specialist for retro consoles will be at ejagfest on Sunday. He will show and sell an selection of his goods from his store.
- ST-Computer Magazine:
- The german ST-Computer magazine will be there as well. They will show and sell their latest issue of the magazine.
- Further they will show some of the rare issues of the magazine.
- SainT (RetroHQ):
- Thanks to SainT. He sends us a Lynx SD card. Everyone will be able to try this device out at the show. It can play lynx games, homebrews and prototypes via SD card on your Lynx.
- The publisher is well known for high quality books about retro video games and home computer in germany. They offer some of the books at the ejagfest. Beside the german versions of “Spielkonsolen und Heimcomputer, Volkscomputer, Spielemacher and Joysticks” also the rare english version of the “Encyclopedia of Game Machines”.
- Zone 3 gaming area:
Thanks to “Zone3” we present you a gaming area with beanbags for gamers and full of retro-gaming highlights.
- And some more …
A transparent Jaguar case will be on display. It’s a special edition, which was produced in spring of 2015 with the original Jaguar tooling. This limited run was sold to support the “RVGS” console. The system was later renamed to the “Colecovision Chameleon” and it was planned that they would also use this tooling. After some problems during the production of the console, the project was canceled. What is left, are this nice cases for the Jaguar. For the second time at an Atari event we show you a HotRod. After Atari discontinued the Jaguar, they sold the tooling to a company who made dental cameras. The HotRod was the flagship product of them.
Fixed marks in the programm:
- Checkered Flag european championship and further competitions
- Group picture at 3:00 pm
- McWill modifies Lynx-VGA mods on side and gives mini workshop
- Nick Persijn modifies rotary controller on side
- Tombula with lots of prizes.
All of you who enjoy retro games and a nice chat with like-minded people are welcome to join us.
This year is the event‘s 17th anniversary and takes place for the 3rd time in the location in Kleinenbroich. Let’s celebrate Atari!
The ejagfest takes place at:
Hochstraße 26, 41352 Korschenbroich in Germany.
Opening is on 4th and 5th November at 10:00 AM (setup from 9:00 AM). Entrance fee is 10,00 Euro for one day and 15,00 Euro for both days.
The Facebook event can be found here: